TR4A Straight Axle Question

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A Straight Axle Question
From: "Steve Benford Jr." <sbracing@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:12:43 -0400
Located on the axle tubes, are the perch surfaces which the aluminum
riser blocks sit suppose to be flat or concave?  Mine are concave.  I
think what happened is the galvanic reaction between the aluminum and
steel cause the block to corrode and allowed the corroded riser to
pound into the perches.  This probably also caused one of the tubes to
become loose in the center casting.

I will have to machine the riser blocks to clean up the mating surfaces
and have to make new locating pins and stud.  No big deal.  However
will I have to replace or fix the perches?  I could weld an 1/8" plate
to recover the perch and remove 1/8" from the riser blocks to
compensate for the additional material.

Am I on the right in thinking this fix will work.

Thumbs Up
Steve Benford Jr.