Re: Head Re-Torque

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Re-Torque
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:35:00 +0100
>With the coefficient of expansion of cast iron and steel being so closely the
>same, does it really make a difference?  I'm just curious and wanted to,
>well, fan the flames a little.
>Kent Shrack 78,000+ rhd tr3a

Surely all you're doing is stretching the bolts? I can't see that the head will
change dimensions enough to get another turn of a bolt

New car headbolts are designed to stretch just enough to set at a given
tension. You can't reeuse then once they've been torqued down - they're fit &
forget

I'm sure the old stuff and old technology we use is very different, so do
engine builders replace the bolts or reuse them? And if they're being reused,
aren't they just stretching alittle more each time??

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk