Re: Spin on Adaptor TR-6 Moss Motors (long ramble)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spin on Adaptor TR-6 Moss Motors (long ramble)
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:34:43 +0100
Hi Dean
I have two "big Saloons", one with an oil cooler take off, one without, both
came from Chris Witor the saloon guru. He says he has them specially
machined for maximum clearance ( not much room between the engine and engine
bay in the saloons). Both have been good, had a slight glitch with the oil
cooler one, the bypass hole for use without a cooler had also been drilled,
not much oil would have gone round the cooler!
I work in an engineering firm as a toolmaker, it often amazes both myself
and my foreman that tools which are fool proof are still not idiot proof,
some of the things we see produced, they bear no resemblance to the
drawings, and if the test sample rate is say 10% then unless a bad one is
checked, all the bad ones will get through. If a bad one is detected then
the sample rate goes up to 50% of completed items and the next 50 items,
after that if all is well it reverts to 10%. You have to bear in mind that
we all want more for less, and 100% inspection of items would mean more
inspectors and therefore greater costs. You should also bear in mind that
although we will easily see poor quality or workmanship there are a lot of
workers out there who are unable to see they are doing wrong (like the guy
who wiped each job with a silicone grease coated cloth then applied sticky
labels) or worse could care less when they are doing it wrong. I see both
types of people at work and wonder why (how) they are still employed when
there are hundreds of people who would gladly do the job.

Graham