RE: TR3A clutch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A clutch
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:27:08 -0700
> Well ...my clutch was seemily getting weak, the pedal that is...
> about two
> weeks ago. I bled the clutch at the slave cyl, and it seemed a
> bit better but
> still weak. Today it gave out... no resistance at the pedal. Had to drive
> sans clutch for about 12 miles. Clutch was working just fine up until two
> weeks ago, or so. There are no leaks and the resevior remains
> full. Tonight I
> attempted to adjust the slave cyl push rod, but no help ... still
> no clutch.
>
> Any opinions, clutch or hydralics (MC or slave)?

If you're lucky, the spring inside the MC has broken.  If not, it's the
taper pin inside the bellhousing.

I would start by checking the adjustment at the slave pushrod.  If it's
horribly loose, you've probably got a broken taper pin or (much less likely)
a bad throwout bearing or broken pressure plate.  (Normal clutch wear makes
the adjustment get too tight, not loose.)  If the adjustment seems OK, hold
a ruler up to the pushrod while someone depresses the clutch pedal for you.
If you get less than 1/2" of movement, then the MC is the most likely
suspect.

Randall