RE: Lucas has Seasonal Defective Disorder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lucas has Seasonal Defective Disorder
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:32:55 -0700 FILETIME=[D5794C20:01C30435]
> Symptoms:
>
> I sit at idle and the ammeter dips down to negative 5 to 7 amps.
> As I motor off,  the ammeter swings WAY up into the positive side of the
> meter . . if I get above 2500 rpm, it will exceed 30 amps.
> In short order (a could of seconds)  it will start flickering
> back down and
> hover around the zero mark.

I agree with Dave, most likely explanation is a dying control box.  However,
it could also be a short between the two wires that go to the generator, or
possibly on the underside of the control box.

> I REALLY don't like the smell of wires and insulation melting.  (I still
> haven't found the damaged areas)

Odds are, the smell came from inside the generator.  The external wiring
will handle 30 amps, but the generator itself will not.  The control box
regulates current as well as voltage, to keep the generator from frying
itself.

> Anyone got any helpful hints for me?

She's getting to be an old lady, buy her a new control box for her 40th
birthday !

Seriously, the old generator/control box is a fairly robust system.  If the
limited current available isn't a problem for you, I'd suggest keeping it
stock.  Give those wires from the control box to the generator the "hairy
eyeball" though, chances are they're due for replacement too.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO - due for yet another alternator replacement, 3rd one in
about 20 years.