RE: Gas in the Sump?

Subject: RE: Gas in the Sump?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:45:44 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I need your help again.  While changing the exhaust on the TR6 from an
> original muffler set up to my Ansa Free Flow I noticed the strong
> smell of
> fuel.  Yes, I have gas in the sump again.  This problem first surfaced a
> couple of years ago after a trip to VTR in Breckinridge.  I
> changed out the
> fuel pump thinking this was the source.  I guess not since it is
> full again.
> I am big time stumped with this one.  It can't be good running
> around town
> with a sump full of fuel.  I was thinking of driving this car to
> California
> this fall for Triumphfest!  Now What?  Before I start tearing
> everything down
> I thought I would give you guys a try.  I am thinking no float camber
> ventilation but that could be a reach. Help!

My first guess is that you managed to get ahold of an older pump, built with
materials that cannot stand up to today's 'reformulated' gasoline.

My suggestion would be to pick up a low-pressure Facet electric pump (about
$25 at JZ Witless, less on eBay) and temporarily install it.  If your fuel
in the oil problem goes away, you know it was the pump.  Even if you go back
to the mechanical pump, the Facet is a handy thing to keep on hand anyway,
for the next time the mechanical one fails.  Also works pretty good for
emptying gas tanks for maintenance and whatnot.

Randall