Re: Raccoons, I have raccoons! Little LBC content

To: "Rave Racer" <raveracer77@hotmail.com>, <davidt@opentext.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Raccoons, I have raccoons! Little LBC content
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:37:11 -0700
Sorry Folks,  but I had to pass this  on...clearly not my
story...but...fits  in with the  'coons...

Three nights ago I decided it was time to lube my defense gun. So, I
headed down to the basement to get all the necessary goop.

As I walked toward the cabinet, a whimpering sound came from the
furnace. I've heard furnaces clunk, click, and whoosh, but never
whimper. So, I stopped o listen. Sure enough, it whimpered again.
When I rapped my knuckles on the side, I heard the unmistakable sound
of tiny feet.

Upstairs to call my brother-in-law, who works for a  heating and A/C
company. "Jon, I've got a critter in my furnace. What should I do?"
"Get it out of there."

  Free advice is worth the price.

Tools in hand, and a pair of heavy gloves along in case of rabid
attack, I began removing various pieces of sheet metal and ductwork.
When I removed the 8" flue pipe from the furnace, a gray squirrel
dropped out, hitting the bridge of my  foot on its descent. Startled,
I jumped back. Equally startled, Buddy the Squirrel scurried into
the next room, where all the broken furniture, stereos and VCR's sit,
waiting for me to fulfill my  promise to fix them "someday." Clearly,
he wasn't going to be found in that jungle.

I told my wife to keep the basement door closed,  then put the
furnace back together again and, tired from two hours of ductwork and
rodent-driven apprehension, headed off to sleep, assuring my wife
I'd get a live trap in the morning.

True to my promise, I set up the trap. My wife got  peanuts and
carrots for the bait. She also neatly cut some peanut butter
sandwiches into eight squares (how come I don't get this kind of
treatment?). What she would not do was the laundry, which had been
piling up in the chute; she wasn't going down in that basement until
the threat level was back to  White.

  Buddy didn't like the trap, although he somehow managed to snag some
food out of it.  I opened a basement window to give him a way out
but, with temps outside in the teens, Buddy opted  for the warmth of
the furnace. The only result of opening the window was to freeze the
water in the pipes running up to the kitchen.

Day Two: back to the hardware store for some industrial-strength
poison and some rat traps. I  suspect Buddy may have been a seasoned
repeat offender, because he didn't touch any of it.

This morning, sometime before dawn, I awoke to the  sound of my wife
screaming, even louder than the last time she saw me naked. Grabbing
flashlight and  .45 from the nightstand, I scrambled down the stairs
o rescue her from whatever thugs had invaded the house.

No thugs, but Buddy the Squirrel had found a way upstairs. He and
Zach the Dog were engaged in some kind of barking and shrieking
standoff over in the corner. Zach's an indoor dog and, while he had a
size advantage over Buddy, he doesn't have the "street fighting"
mentality that the squirrel no doubt did. Nor did he have rabies
(yet). So, it was  Zach or Buddy. Besides, my patience was at an end,
as was my supply of clean underwear.

Training my flashlight on Buddy, I aimed the pistol at his
midsection. (For you technical types, Center of Mass on a squirrel is
probably 1/2 MOA). Under flashlight illumination, Federal Hydra-Shoks
produce an effect similar to what I vaguely remember psychedelics to
be like. At first I saw nothing but  white, then the entire room was
bathed in a bright, multi-colored glow. Something like an illuminated
kaleidoscope. The sound in my ears was like an
interminably-sustained high note from a Fender Stratocaster. My wife
was yelling something, but I  was busy trying to decide whether this
New Woodstock  experience was annoying or pleasurable.

Now, I get along famously with all my neighbors, except the B----
Next Door. Our relationship makes GW and Saddam look like frat
brothers. Our houses  are just twenty feet apart, and she takes her
barking dogs out as early as 4 am, which is usually when I'll call
the cops.

  So, I have no doubt it was her phone call that caused the sea of red
and blue flashing lights in front of my house.  I'd been able to hear
the sirens, and I heard some kind of voices outside, but the
Stratocaster kept me from understanding.

  After years of marriage, wives develop a way of communicating with
husbands who can't or won't listen. "They want you outside!" she
barked. "Get out there before they come in and shoot all of us!"  I
obliged, and opened the front door, at which time Zach the Dog
decided he'd had enough. He raced past me to the Sane Outdoors, with
my wife in hot pursuit. I yelled to the police, "it's okay! She's a
non-combatant." I've no idea why I used that term but, in the long
history of police paperwork, I'd  bet this is probably the first time
the words "squirrel," "fox terrier," and "non-combatant" were  used
in a single report.

Standing before me was a police officer who, if not for the badge,
would have looked every bit like a  very large Marine, complete with
the "shaved sidewall" haircut. As I eyed him up, he looked me  over:
skinny legs spattered with Buddy blood, wearing just my last clean
pair of shorts, pillow hair, and pupils probably the size of
quarters. "Have you been drinking, sir?" Officer Sidewalls  asked.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had the nasty habit of saying the wrong
thing at the wrong time. "No," I replied, "but this sure seems like a
good  time to start."

  When Officer Sidewalls finally allowed me to unclasp my hands and
step away from the wall, I decided that humor was probably not his
strong suit.  It was also about then that my vision cleared, and I
realized that I hadn't shot Buddy the Squirrel. I'd  exploded him.
Little bits of Buddy guts were splattered on the sides of the end
table where he'd been. The floor was a jumble of fur and unknown
viscerals. Buddy's furry tail was near an overturned vase, which got
me to thinking about creating some  kind of trophy. His eyes were
still open, and his  yellow rodent teeth sort of reminded me of Gary
Bussey from "Lethal Weapon."

  Officer Sidewalls wasn't as interested in Buddy as I  was, though.
He wanted some answers. After some  lengthy discussion, he became
sympathetic to my  rodent plight, promised no charges, and left to
write the report of his career.

Meanwhile, my wife had recovered Zach the Dog.

  And, in just two hours or so, I'd be able to go to the hardware
store to get some True Value SquirrelGutsRemover, as well as some
wood putty and  stain for the hole in the floor.

  Life was good once again.

Sitting here now, I can reflect on what I learned: a wire grate on
top of the chimney is a good thing; joking with an officer responding
to a "shots fired" call is not a good thing; squirrels are smarter
than people; the .45 ACP is vastly underrated as a varmint round; and
the New Woodstock experience is  indeed annoying.

But, I wonder: would it be over the top to introduce a few mice into
the house of the B--- Next Door?

--
Bill Pugh
Two & Home