Re: Surrey top questions

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Subject: Re: Surrey top questions
From: Eric Miller <ebuzz@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:28:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 05:08 PM 3/31/03 -0800, you wrote:
>I've been looking for a surrey top for my TR4A off and on over the
>years, but have never found one (that didn't come with a car
>attached!).  But now I have lead on one, and realize that I have a few
>questions before I take the plunge.
>
>First, what changes, if any, do I need to make on a car that didn't
>come with one from the factory?  I know that I will need to change the
>cap rail on the windscreen.  Anything else?

I'm not sure that the cap rail needs to be changed.  I think the softtop
cars had rubber plugs where the holes are to bolt the center section or
soft top frame in...

>Second, my main interest is in using only the cloth center section
>(when needed).  I can't find a good picture of the frame, does it fold
>up?  If not, does it fit in the boot?

The foldable center section and foldable frame does fit in the trunk

>Third, did cars that came with a surrey top have the snaps for a
>tonneau installed?  Not much I can do about it now, but just curious.

My car does not have the snaps for a tonneau.  In fact, I can't see how one
could be used.

>Lastly, does anyone know what a reasonable price might be for a used
>but restorable rear surround and hard center section (rear window is
>supposed to be in good condition)?

I know that a complete one sold on e-bay a while back for around $2600.
Mine came with the surrey top so I am using it, but I would prefer a
regular soft top.  The problem is they are so rare that I would probably
just get a second car that is a true convertible before I sold mine...

Darrell - I would be happy to take any pictures you want of my surrey top.
Frame, backlight, center section, etc...

Just let me know what would be helpful.

-Eric