Looks like I'm stumped

To: "Dan Masters" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Looks like I'm stumped
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:33:18 -0500
Cc: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dan, we met at the SEVTR last fall, and it was a pleasure to meet and
greet you at that time.  You were also kind enough to spend a few
minutes with me on an issue I'm having with my starter.  I'll try to be
brief, but basically the issue remains.

Problem:           Occasional starter grinding

Things done in past:       1)  replaced ring gear that was backing off
flywheel
                                    2)  replaced starter with high
torque variety from TSI
                                    3)  main ground appears to be in
good shape

Last thing I suspected:   I believed I had pretty much eliminated all
possible areas except a possible faulty ignition switch or wire.

Things I did yesterday:   I was adjusting my valves and using a remote
starter.  It dawned on me that I was bypassing the ignition switch.  So
now I'm left with no more ideas as to what the problem might be.

It has been suggested by another list member that my starter may, for
some reason, be slightly out of alignment or too close to the flywheel.
He suggested that I loosen the nuts a few turns to see if this makes any
difference.  That has not been tried yet.  But aside from this fix, what
may be the issue, are there other areas that I should look to?

Stumped in Atlanta,

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2