More on Spitfire running rich

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Spitfire running rich
From: david@robertson.org.nz
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:10:32 +1200 6.0.1|February 07, 2003) at 24/03/2003 17:10:36, Serialize complete at 24/03/2003 17:10:36
Hi,

First, thanks for all the replies - you guys are great!

I decided to start from scratch. I've replaced points and plugs. Gap set
correctly for both, dwell is within spec, timing is correct. So I'm
confident the ignition system is OK.

I then took the piston chamber & piston off both carbs . Needles look
fine. They're spring-loaded ones & I can't see any ridges or flat spots on
them. The tubing attached to the jets looks much cleaner than the rest of
the carbs - maybe recently replaced by previous owner?
Both jets were very high. I adjusted them down to flush with the bridge,
then another two complete turns. I turned the engine on the start for a
few seconds with the coil lead out. I can see petrol a little down in each
jet - not overflowing and there's no sign of petrol leaking from the carbs
or float bowls.

I put everything back together & started it. It's VERY rich. Black smoke
out the exhaust, won't idle at all. I adjusted them both up two complete
turns and it idles but it's rough. Drives rough as well. I tried some more
adjustments on the carbs individually - adjusting the rear one as far up
as it will go seems to help, but even there it's too rich. If I lift the
piston with the pin, the engine speeds up.
Adjusting the front carb doesn't seem to do anything - it doesn't get
better or worse. Lifting the piston doesn't change the engine but it
almost stalls when I drop it back.
I took plugs 1 & 4 out & they're both really sooty.

I'm suspecting that jets, needles or both are very wrong. Any comments?
How do I tell what I've got? I guess I can just order the correct new ones
& see if that helps but I won't be very happy if it's something else.

Regards,
David Robertson

    1961 Thunderbird
    1978 Triumph 2500S
    1974 Triumph Spitfire

  <<< Life is too short to drive boring cars >>>

http://www.robertson.org.nz/David1.htm