Spitfire - one carb too rich

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire - one carb too rich
From: david@robertson.org.nz
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:26:12 +1200 6.0.1|February 07, 2003) at 23/03/2003 15:26:17, Serialize complete at 23/03/2003 15:26:17
Hi,

I've been trying to get my Mk IV Spitfire runnung a bit smoother. I've
found the peoblem appears to be the rear carb (HS2 SU I think). It's
running too rich - if I lift the piston with the little rod, the enging
speeds up & smooths out noticably. However the mixture nut is already
wound as far up as it will go. I took the piston out to have a look and
the jet is way higher than the front one. The front one is about level
with the bridge. I tried setting it the nut to two complete turns from
tight (this is the starting position in the manual). It was hard to start,
ran really rough with plenty of black smoke and wouldn't idle. I've put it
back to being screwed all the way up but it's still not great.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
David Robertson

    1961 Thunderbird
    1978 Triumph 2500S
    1974 Triumph Spitfire

  <<< Life is too short to drive boring cars >>>

http://www.robertson.org.nz/David1.htm