Troubles with bendix/flywheel

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Troubles with bendix/flywheel
From: David <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:39:29 -0800
Folks,

My motor is rebuilt and ready for installation. In
the course of inspecting various components, I
noticed that the flywheel sits far away from the rear
backplate of the motor. I'm using an aluminum
flywheel. The problem became very apparent
when I held the starter motor into position and
noticed that the bendix drive gear is always
engaged. The ring gear on the flywheel is about
1.10 inches away from the rear backing plate, and
therefore, doesn't allow the bendix gear to
move away sufficiently to disengage. Has anyone
else noticed this when mounting an aluminum
flywheel onto a TR250? I have a feeling that the
TR250 crankshaft is longer than a TR6's. Any
other ideas?

TIA,
David