2 PIECE TAIL SHAFT?

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2 PIECE TAIL SHAFT?
From: "McMaster, John" <JOHN.MCMASTER@act.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:17:36 +1000
Can someone please explain why the "small" Triumph sedans, the Dolomite in
particular, had a 2-piece tail shaft?  I haven't been able to determine why
the engineers went to all the expense of having a center bearing and an
additional 2 uni joints (or CV joints in the case of the Sprint).  I have a
bit of a vibration in reverse that replacing unis and centre bearing have
not eliminated and was considering fabricating a one piece tail shaft as the
solution.  I would welcome any thoughts on this issue - will a one piece
shaft work?  Will it eliminate the vibration? etc.  TIA.

John Mc
'71 TR6 PI
'76 Dolomite 1850
'76 Dolomite Sprint (under reconstruction)
"Fast is First"