Re: TR3 steering box leak

To: JMcmahon@ictgroup.com
Subject: Re: TR3 steering box leak
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:18:47 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jack,
I cannot say for sure how difficult it is to change the lipseal in
place. Getting the rocker shaft out of the way  is really easy:
remove cover, remove the bottom bolt, and press out the shaft. I am
not sure how easy it is to remove the seal in place but it should be
ok. The last 2 s'boxes I did were on the bench top...the last one
actually still is.

Francois

Hi folks,  I have a slow leak on the steering box, the rocker shaft
bottom
seal.  I have to fill it up with 90 wt gear oil about once every 2
weeks.  I
see Moss has this steering box oil that you heat up, I have a sneaky
suspicion that I would be paying $12 for STP or something to that
effect.
If they're selling special oil for that leak, a whole lot of listees
must be
having the same issue I am.  How hard is it to replace the seal and
would it
just be a stop-gap fix?  Could someone please give me the skinny on
Moss's
steering box oil and how hard it is to replace that rocker shaft seal

and
any tips before I rip it apart?

Thank you in advance,
Jack 59 TR3