PRESS RELEASE: Michigan British Reliability Run

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumph_2000@yahoogroups.com, stag@digest.net
Subject: PRESS RELEASE: Michigan British Reliability Run
From: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:05:35 -0500
--CROSS POSTED TO ALL TRIUMPH LISTS I'M ON--

Hello listers,

Please pardon this interruption from the usual caring-for-our-cars type
posts so that I may let everyone know about this worthwhile event the
Detroit Triumph Sportscar Club is sponsoring.  This is the formal kick-off
announcement for the event.  I ask your assistance in the following:  if
you edit your club's newsletter (or can forward this to him or her) and you
are close to Michigan (or you think some folks would travel from a distance
to get involved) please help me publicize the run.  If you aren't close,
perhaps print the information with an appeal for sponsors for some of the
teams registered.  Donations via PayPal can be made on the event website,
www.mibrr.com.  We're hoping to get 50 cars registered.  I owe a big thank
you to John Macartney, the master of these sorts of runs in England, who
was extremely helpful and gave me tons of useful information to help pull
this off.  Finally, please forward this to other British car lists you may
be on.

Here are links to printable versions of this release:
PDF: http://www.michiganbritishreliabilityrun.com/press_release_kickoff.pdf
DOC: http://www.michiganbritishreliabilityrun.com/press_release_kickoff.doc

Thanks so much!
Blake Discher

The Press Release follows:

Contact:  Blake Discher
Detroit Triumph Sportscar Club
1363 East Fisher Freeway, Suite 8
Detroit, MI 48207
Phone: 313-259-4460
Fax: 313-259-4467

Event website:
www.mibrr.com

PRESS RELEASE  (FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE)

Vintage British Cars to Drive 800 Miles in 36 Hours, Raise Money for
Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan

British Car Owners Will Help Send 50 Kids With Hemophilia to "Camp Bold
Eagle," Charity's Educational, Fun Summer Camp

Detroit, MI, March 11, 2003:  On October 4th, up to 50 vintage British cars
will depart Marshall, Michigan for a demanding 36-hour, 800-mile drive, the
"Michigan British Reliability Run" around the lower peninsula of Michigan
to raise money for charity.   Sponsored by the Detroit Triumph Sportscar
Club, the event is open to any British marque vehicle such as Triumph, MG,
Jaguar, Austin-Healey, Rolls Royce, Land Rover and Mini Cooper.

Teams will collect donations in an effort to raise $500 per vehicle to be
given to the Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan to help send kids to "Camp
Bold Eagle," the charity's summer camp.  At the camp, children are able to
connect with other children with the same disease and learn to grow more
independent.  Many kids earn their "Butterfly" during the camp by learning
to infuse themselves with factor, a necessary blood ingredient they do not
produce naturally.

"The run is a great opportunity for British car enthusiasts to raise money
for a great cause and have fun while doing so," said event organizer Blake
Discher.  "Most of the vehicles making the run will be more than 25 years
old, but they get around with little difficulty and have the benefit of
being much easier to fix at the roadside than their modern counterparts,"
he added.

Eliza Marroni, Fund Development and Special Events Coordinator, Hemophilia
Foundation of Michigan said, "We're very appreciative of those who
participate in this event because most families are unable to pay the
registration cost to send their child to camp.  With the help of the funds
raised here we're able to keep our open door policy available to children
living with a bleeding disorder in Michigan."

The route traveled will be a scenic one, on secondary roads, up the western
coast of the lower peninsula and down the eastern coast the following
day.  The event is not a race, but merely a challenge to drivers to see if
their vintage cars will complete the run.  Most cars should finish the
route at approximately 5:00pm, Sunday, October 5th in Ann Arbor, Michigan
at the offices of the Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan.

To support the event or a specific team, donations may be made on the event
website which has pictures of cars registered for the run:
www.mibrr.com.  The site also contains registration information if you have
a vehicle you would like to enter in the run.

# # #