Re: Marina GT

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Marina GT
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:28:21 -0000 h29KcS4V012775
From: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>

> If I remember right, the Marina was one of the ill-fated, small,
> coupe-like (or sedan-like?) cars that B-L invented in the late 60's
> or early 70's.  Memory says they were ill-fated for good reasons.
> Don't know about the GT moniker though.  The car that goes in water
> was called the Amphicar.

The Morris (Austin in the US) Marina was a big seller in the UK during the
early to mid 1970s, though it was hardly groundbreaking in any respect. They
were available in 4 door Saloon, Estate, Van, Pickup and 2 door Coupe
bodystyles, with BMC A or B series engines from 1.3 to 1.8 litres, the twin
carb version of the latter being essentially the same state of tune as the
contemporary MGB. Later versions were restyled as the Morris Ital and used the
O-series engine.
    While the Marina is seen as having essentially BMC roots with it's Morris
Minor derived front end, it actually has many components which carry the
Stanpart logo. Brake drums and the rear axle at least came from the Triumph
parts bin. The latter stages of it's development were overseen by Harry
Webster, so it may have more Triumph blood than we realise,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics