Re: buffer advice?

To: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: buffer advice?
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:33:06 -0500
Rick-
    Expect to pay around $175-$200 for a _good_ buffer, one that will last.
7" diameter works well at lower rpm's. The buffer needs some amps to produce
torque. Rotary buffers can be used for cutting and glazing operations, I use
a rotary to cut and a D/A to glaze and polish. But have had good success
using rotary for both, except the final polish/wax applications.YMMV. A wool
bonnet (white color) is recommended for cutting or compounding operations
and a foam or acrylic bonnet (yellow color) for glazing or polishing
operations. Spur the wool bonnet often to prevent build up during use. There
is an art form to technique, a rotary buffer at too high a speed with an
aggresive compound can burn through the paint in a hurry! My recommendation
is to practice on a parts car/panel or similar before embarking on your
project. Some compounds can cut the equivelant of 600 grit! Stay within one
system for best results (ie: Meguires or 3M). Personally I use 3M, thier
system can be confusing (too many overlapping products IMHO) but it yields
awesome results.
Hope this sheds some light....
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6