starter motor removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: starter motor removal
From: jbregman@mac.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:36:12 -0800
I have been having trouble with my starter motor not engaging, and
thought I would take it out yesterday and look it over, after all,
there are only 2 bolts holding it.  The nuts came off just fine, but
then (after removing the rear carb) I couldn't figure out how to get
the starter out.  Sliding it forward far enough for the drive end to
clear the bell housing doesn't leave any room to lift it out as it runs
into the exhaust manifold.  I tried turning it in different directions
but never found a way to remove it.  It looks like the exhaust manifold
needs to come off to get it out.  Is this true or am I missing
something?

Thanks for any advice.

-Jesse