Re: Media-Blasting & Glass Cutting

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Media-Blasting & Glass Cutting
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:43:36 -0600
Jeffrey J. Barteet wrote:

> I once saw a TR-4 on the internet that had the front windshield cut down
> to about 1/2 or 2/3 normal height. It was reminiscent of a 550 Spyder's
> windshield in porportion to the body.
> . . .
> Can a good glass shop cut down a laminate windshield? Or is it likely I
> was looking at a piece of Lexan?

I don't know about the TR4 you referred to, but I had the stock windshield
of my TR6 cut down to less than half-height for vintage racing. The
windshield frame was then cut down to the same height.

There's a photo at http://www.fot-racing.com/tr6/caption/3.htm

I wasn't sure how long the glass would last w/o cracking--and was prepared
to replace it with Lexan if necessary--but it's still intact after three
racing seasons.

Jim Hill
Madison WI