RE: Wiper Motor help

To: "Tom Boggiano" <boggiano@charter.net>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wiper Motor help
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:07:34 -0800
> Am I looking at the right place as the fuse blows only when the
> wiper motor is
> turned on. nothing else causes it.

Are you sure the wiper motor is wired right ?  There are two terminals for
wires, if you exchange the wires the fuse will blow.  I forget offhand which
is which (and it's even possible to switch them inside the motor), so my
suggestion would be to remove the gear cover and lay it on a towel or
something so it is insulated from ground.  Then try running the wiper motor
a bit, to see if it still blows the fuse.

Note that the DR3A has a wound field, there could also be a short in the
field windings, or in the brush holder.  The wiper switch grounds a wire to
the motor, it's also possible (barely) that that wire is shorted to some
other wire, which might cause the fuse to blow when the wiper switch was
turned on.

Randall