RE: TR2 wheel questions

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2 wheel questions
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:49:44 -0700
You can mount any tubeless tire you like on a tube type rim as long as
the rim isn't porous it will hold air and keep your car off the ground.
The problem comes if you ever run the tubeless tire with a few psi less
than recommended on a tube type rim, the rim will roll off the bead of
the tire under even moderate cornering loads leaving you on just your
rim. Tubes are cheap and readily available put them in for your own
safety and those around you on the road.
For those that don't know the outer lip on a tubeless rim is a slightly
different shape to a tube type rim and the tubeless rim also has a bead
retainer, it looks like a raised lip about a 1/4" in from the outside
edge of the rim this keeps the tire from rolling  off the rim when under
inflated.
Not that most safety inspectors would catch you on this but your
insurance company might might refuse to pay a claim if they could prove
you knowingly ran your car with unsafe tires!

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3
1963 Fiat Cabriolet