TR3A wiring diagram

To: "INTERNET:Popnglo@aol.com" <Popnglo@aol.com>
Subject: TR3A wiring diagram
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:01:18 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h1HE5rCL019112
Message text written by INTERNET:Popnglo@aol.com
>I went to change the gaskets on the rear running/brake lights and in the
process noticed two capped off wires (green & both cold-no current) on the
left side. Checked the Haynes and Bently and both manuals only show the
diagram for early TR2/3,without the inner directionals. Is there any source

that shows the correct (updated) wiring layout? Also, are these lights
supposed to be grounded? There seems to be a contact (push on) for another
lead, about 4 o'clock, in addition to the two hot leads that control the
lights. Could this be for a ground wire, or is it supposed to be
unconnected?
<

Ed, were they green or were they green/red and green/blue or some other
combination?  Have you checked for current with the turn signals active?
Have you checked for current (voltage) with the brake pedal pressed?  Green
wires should be switched, fused which means if your gauges are working (and
wipers) the wire should be hot whenever the key is on.  But there are no
green circuits at the back of the car so I rather doubt that is what it is.

If the unconnected third wire is black then it is a ground.  I'm not
familiar with the lights used on the TR3 but same vintage Austin Healeys
also have a ground wire.  The ground wire is a good thing to have since
they are mounted on a rubber gasket with only some sheetmetal screws to
provide a ground path and sheet metal screws are quite unreliable once
corrosion starts.

Dave