Re: $3 gallon gas (delete if you're offended by general automotive topi

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $3 gallon gas (delete if you're offended by general automotive topics)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:34:30 +0000
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, at around 08:48:10 local time, Paul Burr
<tigerpb@ids.net> wrote:

>$3-per-Gallon Gas Around the Corner?
>
>       By Eric Peters
>
>Just as the sinking of the Titanic shattered public faith in technology
>and ushered in a new and uncertain era, the coming war with Iraq could
>be the trigger for dramatic--perhaps even permanent--price spikes in
>world oil markets that will change our lives in ways we haven't begun to
>imagine.
>
>A 5,000-pound SUV that gets 15 miles per gallon seems indulgent, but not
>lunatic, when unleaded regular is around $1.50 per gallon. But at $2.50
>or even $3 per gallon, that kind of profligacy can't be supported. Even
>20-mpg V-6 sedans will begin to grate when it takes $45 to fill up each
>week.

I do have to laugh when Americans complain about the price they pay for
petrol.   I pay 99.9p per litre for full-fat four star (the Spit seems
to need it, the Heralds don't).   That's USD7.50 per Imperial Gallon.
Unleaded is around 74p per litre (USD5.56 per Imperial Gallon). USD3.00
per American Gallon?   Pity I won't be able to buy it by mail-order...

As for "lunatic" prices of USD2.50 or USD3.00 per US Gallon driving SUVs
off the road in the US, I invite you to check out the number of SUVs
there are on the road in UK at about twice the price per mile.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671