Could I be frying my starter?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Could I be frying my starter?
From: Amiddlesworth@netscape.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 06:36:22 -0500
This is an MG question, but since it's in the realm of Lucas, it should be
common ground for early '70s Triumphs as well.

I've gone through two starters in my '72 B in the past 6 months: my original
and a new gear-reduction starter.  Each does nothing when hooked up to a
battery and checked by touching the solenoid terminal to the +.  I have just
put in a used starter motor that works, but I'm worried about it operating for
2 months and suddenly dying, as the gear-reduction starter did.   Could there
be something about my electrical system that's frying my starter motor over a
period of time?  Is there something I should check?

John Middlesworth
1961 TR3A
1966 TR4A
1972 MGB