Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle....
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:09:31 +0000
Dear All,

I sent a detailed list of queries on the subject of wheel alignment to
the Spitfires list yesterday (a copy appears at the end of this
message), but no-one has yet taken up the challenge of answering them.
This being the case, I thought I would consult the combined wisdom of
the Triumphs list with some more-generic questions.   My deductions,
assumptions and half-remembered factoids are detailed below - please
feel free to tear them to shreds and replace them with valid
information!

OK: first principles.   Each wheel can either be (a) leaning in/out at
the top; (b) pointing in/out at the front; (c) too far forward/backward;
(d) too high/low; (e) too far out from/too far in towards the central
axis of the car.  Is this right?   What, if anything, have I missed?

(a) is called camber.   It is a good thing for front wheels to lean out
at the top, and for back wheels to lean in at the top.   The amount of
camber on a left wheel should be exactly equal to the amount of camber
on the matching right wheel.   Leaning in is called negative camber;
leaning out is called positive camber.

(b) is called toe.   It is a good thing for front wheels to point out at
the front, and for rear wheels to point straight ahead.   The amount of
toe on a left wheel should be exactly equal to the amount of toe on the
matching right wheel.   Pointing out is called positive toe (or
toe-out); pointing in is called negative toe (or toe-in).

(c) is called ???   It is a good thing for each pair of wheels to be
exactly the same.

(d) is called ???   It is a good thing for each pair of wheels to be
exactly the same.

(e) is called ???   It is a good thing for each pair of wheels to be
exactly the same.

What are: (a) Caster, (b) SAI, (c) Included Angle (appears to be the sum
of Camber and SAI) and (d) Thrust Angle, and what do they tell us?

Any information on this most confusing subject would be greatly
appreciated!

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671