Re: Identification plate on a '63 spitfire

To: Spitlist@gte.net (Joe Curry), jmcneal@ohms.com (Jeff McNeal)
Subject: Re: Identification plate on a '63 spitfire
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:35:03 -0500
Cc: suzie.singleton@virgin.net (Suzie), Triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumph), spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfire)
Jeff McNeal wrote:

>> Let's not forget that the Spitfire sports what amounts to be a modified
>> tractor motor....

Joe Curry replied:

>Jeff,
>
>I have heard that said all too often.  However it is completely false!
>The Spitfire motor does not share any common lineage to tractors.  That
>is the TR2,3,4 wetliner engine that is the same basic design that was
>used in Ferguson tractors.  The link in in name only.

Right, Joe. Some would say that the wetliner engine, also found (first by
months, as I recall) in the Standard Vanguard, is a bit of a "tractor" motor
regardless of application.

Meanwhile, the Spitfire motors -- indeed, also the six-cylinder motors found
even in the mighty TR250/5/6 -- all trace their origin to the mighty 803cc
Standard 8 engine circa 1953. And I'm not kidding about the "mighty" part:
upwards of 25-26hp or more in original tune! :-)

--Andy Mace