Rod bearing Nuts: To change or not to change

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rod bearing Nuts: To change or not to change
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 20:00:13 EST
Hi guys,
I renewed the rod bearings on my 76 TR7 today. Just in time since they were
shot, looking dark gray with slight gold streaks and the bearing caps felt
real loose. The crank looked good so I hope this cures the tapping noise that
was prevalent previously.

I am ready to torque down the nuts but I noticed that the manual states to
use new nuts.  Really?  I don't happen to have eight of these special nuts
lying around. Is it false economy not to renew them?  I have the seven's
motor all jacked up (a ridiculous requirement to remove the sump on a seven)
and would like to finish it up before it all collapses on the floor.

Hangin by a thread,
Darrell