Re: TR3 overheating

To: "Dave Hammond" <dbh@hamengr.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 overheating
From: <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:10:38 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
my 72 gt6 had overheating problem bad and i had to do a number of things to
fix it.
1. recore radiator (yours is new)
2. new 160 thermostat (why not it's cheap only $5).  also do not run without
thermo, the coolant cycles so fast it doesn't stay in the radiator long
enough to cool down
3. make sure radiator shroud is on correctly (mine was folding over
partially when the bonnet was put down).
4. removed the engine shrouds around engine allowing more air flow around
engine and out under car.  this item actually helped alot.
5. removed front license plate to allow more cool air to radiator.  it took
all this to get it to be stable temp.
alternative ideas are new water pump.  also don't forget to check ignition
timing, too advance will cause engine to run hot.  what kind of gas are you
buying  ?  premium may help it run cooler too.
let us know how you make out.
larry