RE: TR6 Gearshift Lever Locating Pins

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Gearshift Lever Locating Pins
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:27:06 -0800
> The locating pins on my TR6 gearshift lever are not as shown in the shop
> manual. The manual shows tapered-ended studs with a lock nut. I have
> tapered-ended bolts. These can't be adjusted and locked into place per the
> shop manual procedure.

This was a production change, although I'm not certain just when it occurred
for the TR6.  For the Stag it apparently occurred late in 1971.

> I have located the correct NOS part from another supplier and may
> order it.
> Another option would be to just tighten the bolts all the way in. Maybe
> that's all I need to do.
>
> Anybody have advice?

I believe with the bolts, you just tighten them all the way in.  Or, follow
the book instructions for making the adjustment; and if the lever moves when
you tighten the bold, add washers under the head until it doesn't.  This is
not a particularly critical adjustment.

BTW the tip of either the bolts or pins should not be tapered, but turned
down and cylindrical.  This is the pivot point for the shift lever, so if
yours are worn, I'd suggest replacing them.

Randall