Re: early O/D rebuild

To: <Tr3bob@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: early O/D rebuild
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:47:45 -0500
Hello Bob, Like others have said go to nelson's site. It doesn't get much
better than that and most all he says can be applied to the 3 box as well.
Tear down is straight forward and all you need to do is follow the
instructions closely. I don't have a Haynes so I can't comment on it's
accuracy. You of course will be doing the gearbox too I suppose. The things to
look for are how tough it is to remove the circlip holding the second and
third gears to the mainshaft as well as to very closely look at all of the
bushings and thrust washers for wear. Inspect the 2nd gear bush (The Top Hat
Bushing as it's referred to) very closely as it will most likely be cracked
around the flange. Apply some pressure to the flange and see if it pulls away
from the bush itself. Look for a tell tale line which is likely a crack, in
the end I would replace it regardless as sometimes the crack is there and can
not be easily seen. Of course inspect the syncro cups and check for clearance.
Another important thing to inspect closely would be the bearings and shaft for
the countergear assembly. I would further suggest buying your repair parts
from Quantumechanics - John Esposito @ 203-459-9612. Johns parts are top
quality and I have found them to be competitively priced too. In my opinion
you can trust his Synco cups to be correct too. Some are not as good.
With regard to the O/D again carefully inspect all of the thrust washers and
bronze bushings for fit and wear. Be careful when you pull the one way clutch
that fits inside the annulus as there are rollers that can drop and go to that
place in everyone's shop that grabs these things never to be found again ( I
have to find that spot in my shop cause there are some valuable parts hiding
out there, maybe even some of those rollers ).
Re-assembly of the OD is again very straight forward and well within your
abilities. Be very careful to follow all of the instructions regarding
offering the O/D back up to the gearbox. Be certain to tie back the pump
plunger and position the cam for the pump at it's low point as the two
components come together. That plunger needs to be held back so as to avoid
interference and destruction of the pump plunger and cam. One other thing
check the straightness of the adaptor plate to trans surface as well as the
plate to O/D surface. If warped this can be a major leak source.

That's all for now, there a lot of good advise available on the list as you
know so just ask if you're having trouble. I'm in the process of doing my O/D
too and have done a few over the years. Oh and by the way, there are those in
list-land that know much more about these things than I do.

Hope it all helps.

Jerry Van Vlack