Re: casting project proposal - easier than an engine head

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: casting project proposal - easier than an engine head
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:09:59 -0000
Hi Randall
I Work in tool making where I make steel dies for aluminium casting, the
guys in the foundry often have extreme trouble getting usable castings out
of the dies, the dies will work one day and not the next, the metal has to
have degassing tablets, sodium for flow and a flux for cleaning the melt
added. Sand casting is also difficult, I used to watch the guy at work in
awe as he employed many tricks of the trade learnt over many tens of years
in the foundry. I doubt if many of us have the time and budget to get usable
castings at home.
If some one has experienced casting at home and knows that it can be done
successfully I apologise for the negative input.

Graham.
Sorry no scope where I work for casting HJ's