Re: No more shlep boys etc

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No more shlep boys etc
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:21:32 -0000
I am indebted for the many replies defining the shlep word and its place in
the American English language. Particularly Ray Antoky's detailed history of
Pep Boys. Clearly of Yiddish origins with strong German overtones as I had
thought. No doubt its roots derive from the German word 'Schlepper' meaning
(among other things) an agricultural tractor. With the winter now upon us,
my cars in the garage, I can now go for a 'Schlepp' on my Fergie - down as
far as the pub. It's too damned cold to travel further!
Thank you all for your illuminating input. I don't quite know what I'm going
to do with this priceless gem of intelligence - but no doubt fate will find
a way?

Jonmac