RE: Cam bearings

To: "Angelo Graham" <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cam bearings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:55:29 -0800
> Have an early TR engine without the later engine improvement of a
> full set
> of cam bearings installed. Anyone have an idea of how difficult
> it would be
> to re-fit the block with a set of cam bearings?

Unless the number stamped on the block is important to you, my suggestion
would be to pick up a later block.  Get the full-flow oil filter head while
you're at it.

> Have visions of the need to line-bore the block, etc.,etc.

In addition to line boring, the factory thought it necessary to drill and
tap for setscrews to locate the bearings.

> Can you use the stock TR2 cam?

Yes.

> Would it be worth going through all of this? The thought of
> having the cam
> run in the casting just doesn't sit too well with me.

I'd say it depends on how many miles you're planning to put on this engine
and how many it's already done.  The camshaft doesn't bang around the way
the crank and rods do, the main problem with worn cam bearings is that they
reduce oil pressure.  If the car will be only a "weekend driver" and no
racing, it's probably not necessary to upgrade the cam bearings unless
they're already badly worn.

FWIW, the TR250/6 motor didn't have cam inserts either.

Randall