new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)
From: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:32:34 -0400
Hi,

This is actually my first post to the list. I've been reading it for a few
weeks. (This is a bit of a long letter.)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good Triumph mechanic in the Grand Rapids,
Michigan area (south western part of the state)? Specifically for a TR6.

I don't need any specific work at the moment. I would like to know someone
to go to who could do a good tune up and inspection, and for any future work.

I recently (two weeks ago) bought a '74 TR6 (CF20293UO). (It has a '75 engine,
(CF36531UE) brand new suspension, and many exterior and interior pieces from
a '69.) The car was decently restored by the PO (all new interior, replaced
all rusty body panels with new metal, all new suspension, new paint).

According the the commission # it should have OD, but where the OD switch
should be, the PO installed a start button (turning the key to Start does
nothing.) They did install a new electronic ignition, and must have done
that at that time. Since the engine isn't original, I guess it's possible
the transmission isn't either, although it would be nice to have OD.

At the moment the engine could probably use a tune-up, and I would like
to have the differential properly checked out (it leaks a bit, and I'd
like to make sure the mounts are all good.) A few other small leaks (oil
from the block around the distributor mount, and a clutch line with a small
leak). Nothing too serious.

Getting steady idle seems to be a problem. Either too high or too low, usually
too high. It only gets low when it has been driven for a while. Oil pressure
is usually between 20-50, but I'm not sure how accurate the guage is. It often
drops to zero. I changed the oil using Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50. Temperature
seems good, usually between 1/4 and 1/2 when warmed up. No oil in the water
and no water in the oil.

So far I've added some of the interior trim the PO hadn't gotten around to
doing, and replacing the water pump. Which had a 3/8" pulley, while the rest
of the pulleys are 1/2", replaced it with a proper pump and belt. (BTW, is
the only way to change the fan belt to remove that bar crossing the front
of the engine? That was a pain to do.)

Properly mounting the Monza exhaust which hangs too low and leaks,
and replacing the worn out convertible top are the next tasks on the list.
And painting and mounting the front bumper, which they didn't bother with.

How difficult is it to replace the convertible top?

The PO said that they had been _given_ the car a few years ago, along with
a variety of parts. It was a gift to his son from the PPO. The PPO was
apparantly some "crazy guy" (their words) who had three TR6's in pieces
stuffed into a garage and attic. So this car is a bit of a mix of parts.
The PPO told them to come one day, and they could have whatever they could
haul away, *on that one day*.

During the "restoration" the PO purposely tried to make it look a bit like
a '69, with the '69 seats and bumpers.

The color is not original (original appears to have been dark green). The
repainted color is actually '95 Ford Performance Red.

Pictures of the car can be seen at http://www.bereza.net/  I realize
that I forgot to take pictures of the car from the front. I'll have to
add some soon. It does look as nice from the front as well.

I've got the application form for VTR. Are there any good local clubs in
the GR area?

Well, just wanted to let everyone know about my new car.

Bill

'69 TR6
'01 Hyundai Elantra

--