RE: TR6 Clutch madness

To: "Jack DeWolf" <jbd@dotnet.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch madness
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:39:05 -0700
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Message text written by Jack DeWolf
> >My clutch seems to gradually lose the ability to disengage. It
> seems worse
>
> after it's been running for 20 minutes or so. At first, it is hard to get
> in gear from neutral and grinds going into reverse from neutral with the
> clutch fully depressed. I replaced the master and slave, bled it
> for 2 days
> (that was really fun), and eventually moved the rod to the
> highest hole on
> the lever to get more throw. It worked much better, but now I notice a
> sound something akin to a loose fan belt when I depress the
> clutch and damn
> if it isn't dragging again, not fully releasing. Is this related
> to a throw
> out bearing going south? Any wisdom much appreciated!
> <

One possibility is that the pilot bearing is dragging for some reason, which
could also be the squealing you hear.

Someone mentioned at the club meeting the other night that the locating pins
had been left out when their transmission was installed.  Over time, it
sagged against the engine block, and the resulting weight on the pilot
bearing produced symptoms similar to the above.  Replacing the pins and the
now ovalled pilot bearing solved the problem.

Randall