Overdrive Saga Continues

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Overdrive Saga Continues
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:02:11 -0400
Cc: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Patrick Bitton
>Well, just when I thought it was over...it isn't. I ordered an angle drive
from a supplier of used parts and recieved it today. I tried to install it
on my J-Type and the square bit that sticks out of the angle drive will not
insert in the overdrive speedo connector. Does anyone know why? Someone
told
me that 2 types were made, square and flat. If that is the case...my speedo
connector on my overdrive must be flat. Can someone confirm? I am starting
to think that getting an overdrive is more of a headache then anything
else.
My car has been in the garage for a month now and I only have a few more
week of decent weather to drive it.
<

So drive it without a Speedo!  You've got all winter to sort out the speedo
drive.

;-)

Seriously, you cam pull out the little gear that drives the cable quite
easily and then you can visually inspect it (look at it) to see if:
a: It is indeed the wrong type, or
b: it is the correct type but only needs a little cleaning and tweeking, or
c: there is a bit of an old cable still in there.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Driving without the speedo is no problem.  When in fourth direct
multiply your tach reading by two for Miles per Hour and then by 1.6 for
KPH.

P.P.S. Forget the math.  80 KPH is 2500 RPM in fourth and 2000 RPM in
fourth overdrive.