Re: What caused the demise of the British car?

To: Roger Langley <galahad@uslink.net>
Subject: Re: What caused the demise of the British car?
From: Robert Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:11:45 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Roger Langley wrote:

>The following comment by a local and vulgar Camaro owner hurt enough I must
>share my pain:
>"Had I noticed that the British car faded from the market shortly after the
>invention of the plastic coat hanger?"
>
>Roger
>
>'71 GT6 with temporary exhaust mounting

Roger,

Yes the British car has faded, including the famous Rolls (now part of
either VW or BMW, not sure which has won.) The demise can be traced to
poor management, greedy unions, and an overall lack of corporate vision.
You can ask your Camaro owner; did even the Vette have disc brakes or
hydraulic clutch in 1957? Did any GM engine get approx 1 hp per cubic
inch? When did cars comming from Detroit get Rack and Pinion? And what
about miles/gallon? My TR3A still gets over 30 mpg when not driven too
hard. When did GM cars get racks, disc breaks etc.? Even the VW bug in
the 50's and 60' was lucky to get 25 or 26 mpg. and never mind trying to
stop one in a panic. Could the 56 Vette win a drag race with a 56 TR2? I
dont think so, not until the Vette got the V8. Put them at Watkins Glen
and what happened?

It was not a lack of technology , but a lack of corporate and union
vision. The same thing hit the British motorcycle industry. Both cars
and bikes were also affected by cheap products from Japan. Even the US
industry was affected by Japan.

Put that all together and there are no more Triumphs.

But the Triumph motorcycle was resurected from the ashes and now is
enjoying a very successfull re-birth. The Triumph is the only bike to my
knowledge with a unlimited mileage 2 year warranty!. As far as power,
looks and reliability, I would put the Triumph even with the bikes from
Japan, and far above anything comming out of the US. And the looks,
well, I am a bit partial, but there is nothing like a Triumph. Even the
Harley drivers I ride with drool when I pull up. Partly because I am the
only Triumph, but more so for the lines, sound and roadability.

I keep my fingers crossed that maybe a Brit with loads of $, like Bloor,
will bring back the Triumph car line. I would start saving my $ from day
1. I love my old technology car and bike, but I would love to see what
21st century  technology would do to a TR3A, 4, Spitfire, GT6 or TR6.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird 900