Thanks and request for carb help ('71 GT6 III)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks and request for carb help ('71 GT6 III)
From: "Roger Langley" <galahad@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:52:18 -0500
First, thank you all very much for the responses on the no spark problem.  I
now have a jumper from the ignition switch to the coil and this provides a
good spark at the plugs.  I will follow-up on the suggestions for correct
remedy later.  Again, thanks.

The car does not start.  There is gas at the carbs.  I did try a short of
starter fluid and the car fired so I am assuming it is a carb problem.  The
car was running when stored four years ago and the carbs were rebuilt at
that time. I am waiting for a back-ordered shop manual so all I have is the
VB catalog.

There is no smell of gas from the carbs regardless of choke position or
pumping the gas pedal.    I am assuming (guessing) that the floats in both
carbs have deteriorated and aren't floating.  The rear carb offers no
resistance when the large "plunger" (is this the choke mechanism?) is pushed
upwards.  The front "plunger" offers considerable resistance when pushed
upwards.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Roger
Saint Paul MN