Re: Radiators - Recore or Repro?

To: tr6nut@telocity.com
Subject: Re: Radiators - Recore or Repro?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:55:50 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hugh,
I had a repro unit in my TR250 for a little over a year.  I believe it was
from Moss.  With this in she would run hot at idle on really hot days and
pretty much go ballistic if I was stuck in traffic.  I had the original unit
reconditioned (not recored) by an old timer who said the metal in the old
units is far superior to what you can get now. I believe he rods them.  Well,
I just drove her from Cleveland, OH to Detroit, MI for the Battle of the
Brits the weekend before last with her old reconditioned radiator in place
and she never even reached the halfway mark.  Yes, it was hot as blazes that
weekend.  I have a TR3B and a TR4 with recored radiators in them and they
both run a little hot. Certainly not what I expected when I had them done.
Not sure but maybe the old-timer is on to something.
Cheers,
Darrell