Power British Alternator Conversion Kit For TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Power British Alternator Conversion Kit For TR3
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:47:17 -0700
Cc: <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
     I just installed an alternator kit conversion kit from Brian Schlorff
at Power British (610-270-0505) and was pretty satisfied. The kit is good.
There were some minor inconveniences.

     The kit comes with all nuts, washers, spacers, wiring, belts and a new
alternator with pulley. The pulley itself makes the kit worth it. The pulley
is smaller than the original TR generator pulley so consequently it makes
the alternator spin faster, as it should. Also, the original belt doesn't
fit the alternator conversion really, so he supplies a new belt.
     You remove the generator bracket, but put the bolts back in place as
they are open to the crankcase. The new alternator bolts to the bottom
generator mounting point with a couple of spacers to get the alternator
pulley to align with the crank and water pump pulley. I didn't like the way
the way the directions said to do the top mount so I did it my own way. I
straightened out the generator tensioner bracket and used it that way. The
wiring was a simple matter of installing the supplied jumpers at the
regulator and a big cable (like for batteries) from the alternator to the
solenoid.
     The car had to be converted to negative ground, of course. That takes
about 5 minutes, although I opted to make up new and different battery
cables which to longer.

Glitches and inconveniences:
     1. There was a steering box mounting bracker for RHD steering that had
to be cut out to get the alternator in.

     2. UPS lost the original alternator conversion and a second one was
sent. An annoying delay. Not Power Britishes fault.

     3. I didn't like using lockwashers for the bottom mount, so I bought a
nyloc nut.

     4. I had previously (7 years ago) installed a Hayden flex fan and it
was a pita to get the new belt around the old fan. Not Power Britishes
fault.

     The alternator looks and work great. I am sorry that I waited. I think
the kit was worth it. It was $179.99 post paid/insured. It was worth it if
just for the pulley and not having to be chasing down parts.
     If I had been doing a stock car (no flex fan) without the second
steering box bracket, the whole job would have taken about 90 minutes.
     Next job is a rack & pinion conversion. This is the winter project.
     Good luck.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 TR3A