Re: TR 4 cyl engine miss - long o rp.anheuser-busch.com>

To: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR 4 cyl engine miss - long o rp.anheuser-busch.com>
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:35:13 -0500
At 08:30 AM 9/11/02 -0500, Evans, Mark wrote:

>Triumph listers please offer advice...
>
>I have an unusual -nagging- problem as I continue to fine tune my TR4A. When
>accelerating through the gears at full throttle - pedal to the floor - I
>have a
>flat spot between 4050 and 4200 RPM. This occurs only in 2nd, 3rd and 4th
>gear.
>If I get it revved through 4200 RPM, it goes away. This flat spot is
>characterized by an inability for the car to rev higher as if one or more
>cylinders are mis-firing. The odd thing is that if I back off the throttle
>just
>a hair - maybe an 1/4 - 1/2 inch - the miss goes away and revs right through
>this RPM range with no flat spot though accelerating a bit less
>vigorously. Once
>past this range, I can put it to the floor again with no problem with vigorous
>acceleration. Other than this, it's running great.

I experienced a similar flat spot in my TR4 vintage race car at around 5000
rpm, that also seemed to improve when I lifted. Turns out my air cleaners
weren't flowing enough air, and at 5000 rpm, my mixture became too rich as
a result. Better air cleaners resolved the problem.

YMMV,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58