RE: TR3 Steering bushing question

To: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering bushing question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:58:07 -0700
> I have a TR3 "Split" steering column and bough a nylon/rubber
> steering bushing MOSS # 525-020 that is meant for the split
> column (Up at the end of the column where the steering wheel
> fixes on to stop the slop of the inner shaft to the outter pipe)
>
> When I go to fit it I found to my horror that is is too small. Is
> it possible I need the felt bushing 520-050 to be used with the
> split column ?
>
> How can this be ?

The steering wheel end gets a felt bushing for both split and solid columns.
For a split column, you also need two of the nylon/steel/rubber bushes, they
go next to the coupling, one in the upper half and one in the lower half.

The factory SPC is confusing on this point (the entire upper half of the
column is listed as "CLAMP SUB-ASSEMBLY" but the felt bush is not relisted),
and the Moss catalog is simply wrong.

Randall