Oil leak from fuel pump?

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil leak from fuel pump?
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 08:47:53 -0700
Hello,

After just over 440 miles on my "new" TR4A engine, it still appears to only
have one oil leak.  It is somewhere near the fuel pump, and by Triumph
standards very minor.  While I was very careful with gaskets, sealers and
inspecting the sealing surfaces, I'm sure it is possible that I messed
something up.  But is also occurred to me that possibly the pump itself is
leaking, since the bottom portion is open to the crankcase.  The parts
catalog doesn't really do a good job showing all the parts, but it does list
an "oil retaining spring" and "oil retaining washer", neither of which is
illustrated.  So is it possible that the pump is the source of my leak?  If
so, does anyone have any experience fixing a leak here?

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS CTC67956L