Re: [triumph_herald] Just About Done!

To: <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Just About Done!
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:50:47 +0100 g838wMn17676
From: Scott A. Roberts <herald1200@comcast.net>

> Had a little issue with ignition Saturday- I was driving back from the wheel
>balancing(which eliminated most of my vibration issue) when she started
>stalling at low RPM's. Got into the drive and lost it entirely. First thought,
>the dizzy. And so it was- I failed to properly lube the point cam, and the
>point rider wore away till the points closed! A quick readjust with the happy
>little Lucas tool, and a little lithium grease, and she is back in fettle. I
>will be picking up spare point sets, just in case...Always good to have them
>in the boot kit.

Hi Scott,
    Are you sure that the plastic foot on the points isn't melting, thus
closing the gap? This can be a symptom of a failing  condenser.

> Brakes, while not rock solid, are firm and react well. Being used to manual
>brakes with my 69 Plymouth, I find the transition not disruptive. Braking
>action is quite equal, with no noticeable pulling upon application.And yes- I
>did use silicone fluid in both the brake system and clutch system.

It should be possible to have an absolutely solid pedal, at least that's the
case with conventional DOT 4 fluid.

> The horns create a little issue- they do not always respond to the button. I
>feel this is either a ground issue, or perhaps a contact issue with the ring
>in the column. They do work, but not in certain positions of the wheel.

This will be the ground wire (or lack of one) across the coupling at the bottom
of the steering column.

> I will try to get together a new website in the next few weeks, with the
>before, during, and after shots, although I will certainly have to cull
>through for the best- I have hundreds of pics I have taken , and can't post
>them all!

I'm looking forward to seeing it,
    Cheers,
        Bill.