RE: Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot. [LONG]

To: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Subject: RE: Hard starting when warm, impossible to start when hot. [LONG]
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:29:27 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Bill Miller'" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Message text written by "Glen Johnson"
>The national expert on rally triumphs has said that I need a high torque
starter to deal with my over bored high compression motor.  Apparently
it is not unusual at all for the standard starter to fail on such a
motor. Given the added strain of a hot expanded motor this seems to make
sense.
<

Glen, I was told many years ago that some engines are more difficult to
crank when hot because the petrol will self ignite ina hot engine on the up
stroke of the piston.  This stalls out the starter causing the symptom you
are experiencing.  If that is, indeed, the case then two possible solutions
are the high torque starter to which you referred, or a much wilder cam
shaft that will effectively reduce the compression at low RPM's due to the
valve overlap.

Quite frankly the high torque starter is the easier of the two.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6
St. Louis, MO USA