Re: Speedo error

To: ElangTR4@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo error
From: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:30:26 -0400
At 11:13 AM 5/27/2002, ElangTR4@aol.com wrote:
>I've had a problem with the speedometer on my 71 TR6. Shortly after I got the
>car 4 years ago the speedo needle started swinging wildly, about a 30 mph
>swing. I found a decent looking speedo and replaced the original. The needle
>stopped swinging, but read about 20 mph too high. I purchased a replacement
>cable from TRF, no change. Just got another speedo at Carlisle and put it in
>today. Out for a drive, and it's still 20 mph too high.

Hi Eric...

My guess is that the problem lies in the speedos themselves, as unlikely as
that seems since you had two bad ones.  Because the needle is moving at all
in both cases indicates the cable is good.  I would suggest:

MO-MA Instrument Repair - Margaret Lucas, 1321 Second St NW, Albuquerque,
NM 87102, 505-766-6661

I spoke to them, they're very knowledgeable, work on British (Smiths)
instruments quite a lot.  At the end of the season I'll be sending mine in
for recalibration and repair.  He said in most cases you're looking at
about $100.  BTW, I got their name from an excellent resource, "TR6 Shop
Reference Guide," that is on the Buckeye Triumphs page at:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/TR6ShopReference/TR6ShopRefernceData.htm

I'd definitely check it out, it's packed with useful information.

Good luck,
Blake Discher

1976 TR6 (BRG), 1971 Stag (Damson)