TR3 10" Brake Shoes Resolution

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 10" Brake Shoes Resolution
From: Dave Easton <eastonfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:22:49 -0700
Hello again and greetings to the Triumph List,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about having the 10" brake
shoes on my TR3 relined at a local shop as opposed to buying reconditioned
exchange units from a mail order supplier (Moss or TRF).  The unanimous
advice from those who replied to my question was to use the service of a
local shop which is what I decided to do.

The Yellow Pages list two businesses in Seattle that provide this service
and after calling both, I chose the one that is located closest to my home
because they both quoted nearly the same price over the phone.  I was
greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic guy who gave me a quick tour of
the shop after discussing my project.  They specialize in collector and high
performance clutch and brake friction surfaces.  I am very happy with the
results.  My brake shoes were done in two days and cost about $60.00 for the
set of four which included matching the shoes to my brake drums.  The drums
fit with the new shoes installed (this is what I was worried about) and
adjusted with only two or three clicks of the adjuster.

Unless you have a special requirement, this would only make economic sense
when replacement brake shoes are otherwise unavailable. It's encouraging to
know that this service is available however.  (The cost is about double that
of over the counter rebuilt parts.)  They also reline disk brake pads and
clutch friction disks.

Anyway, enough said about this subject.  Thanks again to those with more
experience than me who suggested this local alternative.  This list is
great!

Dave Easton
'59 TR3A (with new brakes)