RE: Sudden gas gauge failure?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sudden gas gauge failure?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:36:52 -0700
> What does it indicate if it always reads full?
> (And no, I don't top off daily.)

The TR4 and later cars are 'backwards' to the TR2/3 in this regard.  On the
TR2/3 (and possibly a few very early TR4s, I'm not sure), an open circuit
will read full, a short will read empty.  The gage itself has to be
grounded, it may read either full or empty if the ground is bad.  There is
supposed to be a small ground wire from one of the gage studs to the screw
connection on the gage panel, but it's usually missing.

TR4 and later will read empty for an open circuit.  A short to ground may
read full, but I've seen a caution somewhere that shorting to ground can
burn out the gage (it runs on a heater wire) after which it will always read
empty.  The 'hot wire' gage doesn't need to be grounded.

Randall