It Lives!

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: It Lives!
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:10:56 -0400
Thanks to those that responded to my earlier posting.

Summing it up: It runs great!!

Got scared at first. Turned the key and the starter just ground away. No
action. Didn't try this for long. Took a second look at the engine and I had
forgotten to re-attach the primary wire. Put that on and it started right
up. Lots of smoke at first. Ran for about 15 minutes at 2000 RPM. Didn't
sound that great. Then let it rest for a while so I could rig the seats,
trans tunnel, and shifter.

Now, ready to go for a ride to run in the rings. Started right up. Idled
great. Very smooth, no smoke, good oil pressure. (I will set idle above 1000
RPM per Robert Lang's suggestion.) Ran it up and down Woodward 30 MPH to 50
MPH at full throttle about ten times. Stopped to show a friend. Re-started
with just a touch to the key!

One disappointment: When I got home, took a look at the engine. There is oil
coming out of the blasted plug above the oil filter. I put in a large hex
set screw (plug) as some sugessted. That definitely did not do the trick for
me. I used Permatex high temp thread sealer. Guess I'll have to try
something else. I have a large socket head screw. Someone suggested using
this with a fiber washer below it. I may try this.

Thanks to everyone (particularly Randall and Bob Lang) for all the advice
and encouragement. I may have gotten through this on my own, but it would
have been much, much harder.

Hugh Fader
72 TR6 (running)