RE: TR2/3 Engine Woes = Now Success!!

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3 Engine Woes = Now Success!!
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:58:34 -0700
> Glad to hear of your success. I am going to be starting up my rebuilt TR6
> engine in the next week or so. Is use of sealant something that
> is routinely
> done on all engines when first started?

No, not even on the TR3 motor with the gasket between the wet liners and the
engine block.  No reason at all to do so on a TR6, which does not have this
gasket (or liners for that matter).

> One of the auto shops here advised
> me against it as it might clog up the water passages. He said it was
> particulary a problem on Triumphs and MGs. Don't know how true that is.

I have used Aluma-seal many times as a band-aid until I could properly fix
the problem.  (I carry a package of it in my tool kit.)  I have never had it
clog up water passages.  It won't always completely stop the leak, but it
has almost always slowed it enough to get home.  Of course, there was the
time my TR3A put a fan blade through the lower radiator tank ... I didn't
even bother trying it !

Randall